- 4 slices POM® Wheat Bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 mL) kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) barbecue sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onion
Heat oil in large, deep skillet set over medium heat; sauté onion, garlic, zucchini and carrot for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomato paste, Tex-Mex seasoning, salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, beans and barbecue sauce; simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until thickened and flavourful.
Spoon over slices of toast; sprinkle with cheese. Broil on high for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onion.
• For an easy version of this recipe with meat, crumble leftover Veggie-Packed Meatloaf Cups into the chili and heat until warmed through.
• Freeze leftovers for a quick weeknight dinner.